DNB Year in Review 2014
Its been long overdue but I honestly was taking my time in writing this to exclaim this
2014 WAS ONE OF THE BEST YEARS FOR DRUM IN BASS IN A LONG TIME!!!!
I am officially dubbing 2014, “The Year of the DNB LP.” We saw the following long players released and please correct me if I missed any other releases.
1) Bop – Punk’s Not Dead – Med School
2) Ulterior Motive – The Fourth Wall – Metalheadz
3) Om Unit – Inversion – Metalheadz
4) Acid Lab – Odyssey – Omni Music (Acid Lab is releasing a new album in February under the name Ahmad on the Architecture imprint! Watch this space)
5) Invaderz – New Found Dialect – Commercial Suicide
6) Mefjus – Emulation – Critical
7) Icicle – Entropy – Shogun Audio
8) Clarity – Infinite – Samurai
9) Machine Code – Velocity – Subsistenz
10) Maztek – Three Point Zero – Renegade Hardware
11) Defce – Surface Tension – Ohm Resistance (honorable mention since I think they fall more experimental but I am digging it)
12) Kimyan Law – Couer Calme – Blu Mar Ten Music ( an SB staff fave)
13) ENA – Binaural – Samurai Horo ( i dont care what you might say, this album is DOPE.)
14) Marvel Cinema – Solar Fly – Liquid Drops
15) Cern – Under Another Sky – Dispatch Recordings (SHEER BRILLIANCE)
16) Metrik – Universal Language – Hospital
17) Utah Jazz – Portfolio – Spearhead
18) Hybrid Minds – Mountains Remixed – Spearhead
19) S.P.Y. – Back to Basics 1 & 2 – Hospital
20) V/A – Platinum Breakz Volume 4 – Metalheadz
21) Lenzman – Looking At The Stars – Metalheadz
22) Hybris – Emergence – Invisible
23)V/A-Future Beats-The Album-31 Recordings
2015 has some big shoes to fill and honestly I think they will more than be filled.
Katalyst Album of The Year-2014
Invaderz- New Found Dialect -Commercial Suicide
Invaderz brought Drum and Bass back to a place where it had been long since abandoned. NFD is fun, bouncy, energetic, and just plain FUNKY. It is not a slam again UM or Icicle’s releases but I found myself bouncing around dancing anywhere I put this album on. Even at work. It got me pumped to finish my day or start my night. I appreciated the tinges of jazz as well brushed in between the straight forward dance floor beats coming through the speakers. The album came out at a perfect time for me to feel that you can be serious in the studio but the results be fun and inviting to all on the dance floor. The ladies will want to get on the floor with this release and have a good time.
Cern – Under Another Sky – Dispatch
Absolute Brilliant music and album from start to finish. The spirit of Photek was all throughout this, incredible atmospheres and super sick arrangements. Cern just raised the bar for many. Mesmerizing.
Top 10 Tunes
1)-Blu Mar Ten-In Your Eyes (ulterior motive rmx)-Blu Mar Ten Music
2)-Cern-Patterns (ft DLR)-Dispatch Recordings
3)-Blocks & Escher-Moods-Metalheadz
4)-Ivy Lab-Live on Your Smile-Critical
5)-Mayhem & Logam-Classic-Santoku
6)-Lenzman, FD-Joanie’s Theme-Metalheadz
7)-Icicle Ft Skittles-Problem-Shogun Audio
8)-Ulterior Motive ft James Sunderland-Muted-Metalheadz
9)-Invaderz-Dream Is Over-Commercial Suicide
Releases of the Year– I have like 25 but here are a few….
Vromm – Prototype EP – 31 Records
Survey – Object Relations EP – Protect Audio
Blu Mar Ten – Famous Last Words RMX Pts 1,2,3 – BMT Music
Blocks and Escher – Moods/Razor – Metalheadz
Hybrid Minds – Mountains Remixed – Spearhead
See link above….
Double Helix/Thing – Cue/Nightfall (Double Helix Rmx) – Deep Field Audio
Now to chat it up a bit…..
There was a lot of new releases that were just killer and it was nice to see the jump up, atmospheric, and minimal/half time sound really come back into form. I have always said that the genre has taken itself too seriously and everyone wants to make the sickest robotic stuff. It is well known DNB is the most well produced and engineered genre in dance music. I think where it lost its way was the dance floor and keeping people engaged since they aren’t going to give a shit you used an Avalon tube preamp with your Fab Filter plugs to really get the sound sick. Well some of us do but you get the point. Its about vibes and slowly since 2011-2012, the vibes and energy really have been coming back with fresh ideas. Doc Scott came back with 31 Records and has been nothing short of inspiring with territory cleared by Dbridge and Exit.
Tempos and arrangements are being tested again. People are experimenting. Paying homage to earlier styles from hardcore breakbeat, you can hear the techno influence, especially Detroit and not just robotic bleeps. Footwork and juke have been great styles that got some killer stuff from people like Fracture getting in it. I love the diversity and depth of music coming out!
Metalheadz was a behemoth this year! The sets heard from the anniversary party were just beyond words. Hard to believe we were celebrating 20 years of some of the most forward thinking music released!
Spearhead is really taking flight with incredible music.
Utah Jazz’s Portfolio is a fantastic album. Go pick it up!!
Deep Field is still releasing quality tech fueled beats.
SOURCE DIRECT IS BACK!
Love hearing the liquid, atmospheric sound coming back with new artists and labels and really getting back on the dancefloor during primetime sets where it has always belonged.
I got so much more I want to say but I would rather keep linking you guys to new and interesting music.
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT HAS ENJOYED WHAT WE DO AND THANKS TO ALL OF THE LABELS THAT HAVE SENT US MUSIC. SHADOWBOXING WILL CONTINUE TO GROW AND WE WILL DEFINITELY BE PUTTING OUT MIXES TO HIGHLIGHT ALL OF THIS INCREDIBLE MUSIC COMING OUT.
KATALYST AKA ADRIAN SCIENTIA OUT…….